Sunday, January 6, 2019

Traveling with Infant



  
            We loved traveling a lot so when Parth reached to 8 months, my husband and I decided to take a break from daily routine and plan a trip to Miami from Chicago. It was Parth’s first trip so we thought before flying we should do the road trip in the nearby area for trial. But unfortunately, we were not able to make a road trip.
             I remember how I was scared a week before we fly. There were so many questions in my head at that time. How Parth is going to react to the new place, how he will adjust in hot weather etc..  and yes the main concern was ear popping during takeoff and landing of the flight. But, by planning ahead and keeping a few key considerations in a mind makes your traveling with a baby easily manageable and it is actually fun.  I made a list a week before, That's helped me to rewind the things.
Consider your baby’s sleeping time while booking a flight. Schedule your flight during a time your baby usually sleeps. It increases the chance that the baby will sleep through the entire flight. And you can cover maximum flight time peacefully.
In our case, we schedule a flight during Parth’s nap time. As soon as Flight takeoff within 5 minutes he slept for two hours. Remaining hour was quite easy. We did the same thing while returning back home. And yes, don’t forget to bring a blanket along with you in carry-on luggage to cover the baby carrier while the baby sleeps.
My next measure concern was the location where we stayed. Before having Parth we used to find the best hotel in the best location within our budget. Because we never spend much time in the room.
             But After Parth, priorities were changed. I need a space which has access to the kitchen, along with safety and comfort. And my search ends with Airbnb (Sign up with this link and get $40 of your first stay). It was our first time giving Airbnb a try and was worth it. We choose an apartment which includes kitchen and We have been really happy with the places we have stayed in.
             When traveling with a baby the idea of eating out for three meals a day is not easy. Because of a kitchen, I was able to feed Parth fresh homemade baby food on vacation also. It also allows us to keep enough food and snacks around.  Before booking a place I contacted the owner and told her that We are with baby. She immediately responded that she will provide a crib for us. Was a great help from her side.
             Parth was so happy and we enjoyed a vacation very well. Many people avoid traveling with infants because they think it’s hectic, expensive, and they won’t remember it in the future. Seriously, I don’t believe in such excuses. He loves it as much as we do.

 

 
             He seems to sleep and eat better, and he smiles and giggles more than usual. What I actually learn from this trip is, we both spend more quality time with Parth.  My husband has a full-time job so yes, he gets limited time daily to spend with Parth. Sometimes I am also get distracted with my personal stuff. But on vacation, we gave more attention to him and yes; our bonding becomes even more beautiful. And our first experience became great.




             What I believe, when traveling with kids at this young age teaches them to adapt to different surroundings and they learn to have patience. We did one more trip when Parth turned One to New York, to make his first birthday memorable. What we noticed in the second trip is he doesn’t easily get exhausted by unexpected situations and remains calm, knowing fully well and birthday trip works out well.







          

               It’s is a little bit hard than Traveling solo or couple but not tough. It has a unique experience in itself. So just cherish those moments. I will share my travel essentials list and hacks in an upcoming post. So, if you are a new parent just do a trip with your infant without hesitation.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice.
    Try sharing some specific experience (if any) showing how to find a way out when things are not favorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking interest Nandini! I am going to cover those things in my upcoming post ‘Travel essential and travel hacks’. Hope you enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete